- Choice of materials. I love it when I can find everything in one place!
- They challenge you to create only the very best work.
- They make you study your work critically compare to other artists
- They offer you are great way to get feedback and publicity for your work
- The rewards can be great. Money, free products, gift vouchers, publicity in magazines and catalogs, recognition, and pride are all benefits of winning.
- Even if not chosen as the winner, you can still use the title of 'runner up' or 'finalist' as appropriate in your marketing materials. This shows that not only do others appreciate your work but that you are serious about your designs and active within your industry.
- Make a calendar of events so that you can enter as many as possible. Many competitions are free so you have nothing to lose, and
Rings and Things Annual Jewelry Design Contest Entry Dates: February 1st - 28th http://www.rings-things.com/contest/2009/index.html Manufacturing Jewelers and Suppliers of America "The MJSA Vision Awards Design Competition annually recognizes the talent and innovation of designers whose work will have a profound influence on the future of jewelry design. In addition to the overall Professional and Student Awards, the competition features special Distinction Awards that allow us to recognize designers using specific materials or technologies in new and creative ways." Entry Deadline: January http://www.mjsa.org/about_ava.php American Jewelry Design Council "AJDC holds an annual contest to select an outstanding new talent in fine jewelry.